Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Grandmother, A Year Before She Died of Brain Cancer

I am listening to your soft voice
            As it weaves through the tapping
            Of the monsoon raindrops     
            On a tin roof
In a green and blue house in Seoul.

Fences encircle us.
Paper cards buckle under the wet air.
You are boiling chicken.
           
            I look at you, not comprehending
(your mouth forms vowels, your hands pantomime)
            I nod yes
I mouth neh,
            Neh, halmunee

I am remembering your gnarled hands
            Braiding my hair
            In thick and heavy ropes
            Covering my chin in
            An orange butterfly blanket
            Tugging gently at tender roots
            Hiding underfoot

I touch your hair
            Still gleaming black
(the few white patches
shocking rabbit fur)

We listen to the rain as it skips heavy on the roof
            Like giant pebbles.


© Jane Park

No comments:

Post a Comment